Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spring's Looking Up

I've hit another one of those extended lulls in posting, so here's a quick one to get things moving again.

In a bit of a sequel/update to a post from the beginning of Fall 2012, I'm reporting on anthropology enrollment trends from my little corner of the world. In the mentioned post, I lamented that I had to cancel a low-enrolled anthropology course and, in the process, diminish an adjunct faculty's salary. My college, and many others in the region, have been facing declining enrollments--our fall enrollment ended up being down about 8%.


Today is "cancellation day" for Spring 2013. That's the day to meet with the registrar and my immediate administrative supervisor to eliminate any courses that don't meet a certain enrollment threshold. I'm pleased to report that all the anthropology courses are fully enrolled this semester. I didn't offer any evening sections, which are increasingly the major culprit when it comes to low-enrolled courses. In fact, that's the section I had to cancel in the Spring.

Here's to hoping that the cancellations I faced in the fall were a fluke and that my pessimistic noodling in August was unfounded....

No comments:

Post a Comment